To build a positive one on one relationship with a child.
Role & Traits
- 21 years or older
- Member of or regularly attend church
- Love children and know the importance of making a difference in the life of one child
- Able to have fun and able to let the child be a child
- Able to establish good boundaries and adapt to change
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus to meet the growing need in the community
Big Buddies meet with their Little Buddy at least twice a month for a minimum one-year commitment. Big Buddies are expected to maintain contact with the child by phone (or other means) during the weeks they are not meeting.
All mentors are required to complete the OCM Application and Screening procedures before being matched with a student. This includes:
- Complete the Volunteer Application, including three references
- Interview with the OCM Director of Volunteer Service
- Interview with the Big Buddy Program Coordinator
- Complete a fingerprint background check and medical/TB test
- Complete the Approved Drivers Application and maintain automobile insurance