To assist middle school students in building academic skills in the areas of Language Arts and Math; while helping to develop critical thinking skills. To help students engage in a positive adult-child relationship.
Role & Traits
- Establish a committed, caring, one-on-one academic mentoring relationship with a middle school student
- Assist a student with reading, math and problem-solving skills in a one-to-one session
- Present themselves as positive role models children at all times and are able to set and maintain appropriate boundaries
Academic mentors meet every Tuesday, 6:30-7:30 p.m. and should commit to an academic school year from September to May.
All academic mentors are required to complete the OCM Application and Screening procedures before being matched with a student. This includes:
- Complete the Volunteer Application, including three references
- Interview with the OCM Director of Volunteer Service
- Complete the fingerprinting and background check process