To assist students in building academic skills in the areas of Language Arts and Math while helping to develop critical thinking skills. To help students engage in a positive adult-child relationship.
Role & Traits
- Can establish a committed, caring, one-on-one academic mentoring relationship with a middle school student
- Can assist the student with reading, math and problem-solving skills in a one-to-one session
- A positive role models children at all times and can set and maintain appropriate boundaries
Academic mentors meet once a week on Tuesdays or Thursdays, 5-6 p.m., and should commit to an academic school year from September to May.
All academic mentors are required to complete the OCM Application and Screening procedures before being matched with a student. This includes:
- Complete the Volunteer Application, including three references
- Interview with the OCM Director of Volunteer Service
- Complete the fingerprinting and background check